Starbucks Iced Green Tea
Everyone knows the wonderful health benefits of green tea. If you are unfamiliar let me enlighten you.
- Green tea is loaded with powerful antioxidants which reduces the formation of free radicals.
- Compounds in green tea can improve brain function and make you smarter due to the caffeine and L-theanine combination 😉
- Green tea increases fat burning and performance.
- Green tea can kill bacteria Streptococcus mutans in the mouth which improves dental health and lowers your risk of infection.
- Green tea may lower your risk of Type II Diabetes by reducing blood sugar levels and it can improve insulin sensitivity.
- Green tea may lower your risk of cardiovascular disease due to improving your cholesterol.
If those aren’t enough reasons to drink green tea I don’t know what would be. I am not a huge fan of drinking “hot” tea unless it is certain types. One day going through Starbucks on a hot muggy day I thought I would try their “iced” green tea. I was beyond surprised how good it was and it was extremely refreshing.
Of course I was dying to know how I could make this at home for an 1/8th of the price so I was being a little nosy one day after ordering it. I was shocked how super simple it was.
The key is a simple syrup that they use to lightly sweeten it. I always ask for 1/2 the sweetener as normal when I order mine.
Lets start at the beginning.
The key is also getting Tazo Zen Green Tea (this is the brand Starbucks uses). It’s different than a regular green tea because it is mixed with lemongrass ans spearmint. They compliment each other very well.
For a 1 quart pitcher I use 3 tea bags. Fill with warm water and add your tea bags and let stand for roughly 1 hour. Take your tea bags out of the pitcher and store your tea in the fridge until you need it.
Next make your simple sugar. You can make this ahead of time and keep it on hand. It lasts a long time. A simple syrup is “simple”.
1 cup water to 1 cup granulated sugar. If you want to make this sugar free you can use Xylitol. Simmer your mixture until your sugar has dissolved, let cool.
Now your ready to put your tea together. Fill your cup with ice and add your green tea. Now add your simple syrup to taste. I usually use 1/2 a shot in my Venti Starbucks cup.
- 3 Tazo Zen Green Tea bags
- 1 quart warm water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- Steep your tea bags in your warm water for 1 hour then remove tea bags and store in fridge.
- Simple Syrup
- Simmer your water and sugar until sugar dissolves, let cool.
- Fill your cup with ice cubes and add your green tea and ½ a shot of simple syrup (you can add more if you prefer).